As much as we look forward to warmer weather, the heat comes with it’s own challenges! If you are looking for ways to manage your summer cooling costs, be sure to contact us for a maintenance call to ensure your system is operating at peak efficiency!
5 More Tips for Saving Money on Air Conditioning
1. Most heat that accumulates inside a house comes directly from the sun shining onto the roof or through windows, and heating the house directly. Consider landscaping for shade! Planting leafy trees around the building’s exterior will stop the sun from reaching inside your home. Even with the cost of going to the nursery and buying a 15- to 20-foot-tall tree, trees are still a better value. If the trees or shrubs shade your air conditioner, you could boost your AC’s efficiency by up to 10 percent, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.
2. Solar screens or mesh type screens on your window (particularly east-west facing windows) can intercept up to 70 percent of solar energy before it gets into your home. Window films or reflective tint are another option, reflecting the heat before it can be transmitted through window glass.
3. Go ahead & get comfortable. Lower your air conditioner’s thermostat setting to a comfortable level when you’re at home. But let that number rise to a warmer temperature at night or when you’re away from home. You can save 5 percent to 15 percent on your air-conditioning bills by raising the temperature setting on your thermostat when you’re away and don’t need cooling.
4. Skip the stove-top boiling and oven baking. Decrease indoor heat by taking it outside to the grill. If indoor cooking is a must, turn on the kitchen exhaust after cooking. Also, use the bathroom exhaust fan after a hot shower to remove heat and moisture at the source. Reducing humidity goes a long way towards increased comfort.
5. Maintain or replace your air conditioning system. Energy efficiency is mostly a function of evolving technology. Keep the filter, fan blower, and evaporator coils clean to allow for good air movement.
Be sure to check out all of our helpful articles on air conditioning efficiency:
- How to Save Money on Air Conditioning
- What Temperature Should I Set My Thermostat In Summer?
- 7 Benefits of Programmable Thermostats
Want to maximize the efficiency of your air conditioning system? In Glens Falls, Queensbury, Lake George, Saratoga Springs region, contact Northern Heating and Air for more information. We provide air conditioning installation, repair, and maintenance for home and office. Call us today at (518) 745-0401 or contact us online today!